Combating wrinkles and aging skin starts with prevention. Many young people overlook skincare because aging skin seems years away, but it’s not. Once your twenties come along, you may look in the mirror and think, “Is that a wrinkle?!”
While prevention is key, don’t panic! It’s important to know which products to use so you don’t waste money on expensive products that are formulated for older, dryer skin. “Many people think all skincare products are the same, but they are not. Young people who are just beginning to use age preventing products may blindly buy products that are actually for older skin. While these products are great for the right skin type, they can actually cause irritation and acne in younger skin. It’s important to ask a dermatologist or do your research before buying products,” says Dr. Michael Swann.
While getting older is a wonderful thing and shouldn’t be feared, there are things you can do to have healthy and vibrant skin. While you can’t control genetics, you can control what you do to and put in your body. Through a healthy lifestyle and the right skincare regimen, you can have the skin you desire. Starting with healthy, clean eating is key. Opt for fruits and vegetables and stay away from processed foods. It’s also important to stay away from cigarettes and tanning beds.
Along with a healthy lifestyle, there are great age-delaying products you can use to prevent wrinkles. Here’s the list:
1. Sunscreen- Wearing sunscreen is one of the best things you can do. It’s important to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen—not just UVB protection, because UVA rays are more responsible for collagen breakdown than UVB. UVA rays even penetrate through windows, so your skin needs protection even indoors. Make sure you reapply sunscreen throughout the day and wear it all year around.
We Recommend: Elta MD UV Daily Broad-Spectrum SPF 40 Moisturizing Facial Sunscreen, $29, Sold at Swann Dermatology
2. Retinol- Retinol is a great product if you want smooth, clear skin. It stimulates collagen and can treat acne. Retinol can increase the skin’s sensitivity, so it is best used at night.
We Recommend: SkinMedica Retinol Complex 0.25, $60, Sold at Swann Dermatology
3. Antioxidants- Antioxidants like C and E reduce oxidative damage (pollution from the environment) that can break down collagen. They also can enhance skin’s brightness.
We Recommend: SkinMedica Vitamin C+E Complex, $98, Sold at Swann Dermatology
4. Eye Cream- Eye creams can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes.
We Recommend: SkinMedica TNS Illuminating Eye Cream, $88, Sold at Swann Dermatology
5. Exfoliator- Exfoliating helps maintain a healthy complexion. You can use gentle scrubs or cleansers that have exfoliators in them. They will improve the appearance of skin texture, tone, and smoothness.
We Recommend: SkinMedica AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, $46, Sold at Swann Dermatology